Pages

Thursday, October 6

Nerves or Nachos?



Let me just warn you up front.  We’re all about keeping it real around here.  This is not our Falsebook Facebook page, it is life...the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Last night, it was definitely ugly!

I fell asleep putting Sissy to sleep, and awoke a couple of hours later to multiple toilet flushes.  After spending the day watching my man tirelessly pursue our immigration situation, I chuckled to myself about how he is even persistent with the flushing!  Rolled over and went to sleep until...Boom!  It hit me.  First the awful gurgling noise you could hear from across the room.  Then the cold sweat and goosebumps (or chicken skin in Spanish), followed by the uncontrollable lip curl as you grab your stomach in pain.  Your brain registers the emergency situation just in time for you to jump up and make a mad dash for the white throne.  Whew!

All right, now the joke was on me.  We both slowly and gingerly walked backed to the bed and tried to come up with a reason for the suffering (as if that would somehow make it all better.)  Was it NERVES from stressing about this immigration situation and wondering if it will ever be resolved?  Highly probable, but wouldn’t account for the precise timing...within minutes.  Was it the four dollars-fourth of a cup serving of  NACHOS I ordered at the stadium?  Nope, because Luigi only had one bite...hardly enough to trigger his “buzzard” stomach that can handle anything.  

Finally, at around 0230 we realized that if we sat straight up in bed and didn’t move a muscle...life would be okay.  Every ten minutes or so one of us would be brave and inch down a little, until it felt like the little bubble moving too far inside a level.  At this point it was flat out comical, although I’m not sure if I laughed or cried myself to sleep.

I was reminded of a Dean's Memo that was read over the loudspeaker of our ship on Semester at Sea (when 800 of 1000 passengers were sick after a certain port), "You will not die from diarrhea…you will just feel like you're going to die."

After some discussion, we think we figured it out...let’s just say if something says “Refrigerate after opening.” that most likely means before carrying it around in your diaper bag all day.  Lesson learned the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment